domingo, 17 de mayo de 2009

"ETERNAL LOVE" by: Belén Schierano & Celina Hassan

“Harmony” by Remedios Varo


ETERNAL LOVE

She was staring at him dazzled, paying detailed attention to every movement he did. Music was the link between them. He was an outstanding music composer and professor. She, a rebellious student in her teens. Privacy had led to the perfect atmosphere. Without hesitating, Madeleine approached him. Anthony felt his heart pounding strongly.
- “No, Madie, no, wait! We can’t do this! You’re too young for me, honey!,” exclaimed Anthony with guilt.
- “Don’t say that! We both know what we feel, why don’t you just let yourself go?,” she asked.
There was nothing but silence; it made Madeleine realize she was not as important for him as he was for her. She left the room leaving all her stuff and without caring about the heavy rain and the strong winds. When crossing the street, she noticed that it was really late. The lights of the car approached her very fast and in one second all her memories came up to her mind.
Two weeks had passed by, and Anthony had not recovered from the terrible loss. He felt the house so empty and cold without Madie’s voice, without her presence. The only place he felt safe was near his piano which made him remember every moment spent with his Madeleine.
One day, Anthony was composing the last notes of a special song; special because it was the one he and Madie had started to play together some time before. The music made him feel relieved and relaxed. Suddenly, something, a strange image appeared above the piano, levitating. Anthony thought it was an optical illusion, a result of his imagination. So he did not pay attention to it. After dinner, he sat again at the piano to enjoy music. He again concentrated on that particular song, but this time it was different. He shivered at the thought of an odd presence. Anthony realized he was not alone and panic seized his body. As soon as he got out of the room, a soft sweet voice whispered “Anthony, Anthony”. He could not believe his eyes when he saw a shining light coming from the room where the piano remained.
- “It is my Madie! She came to say goodbye”, exclaimed Anthony with his eyes filled with tears, “Madie, I just…”
- Shhh! Don’t say anything, please!, “ said Madie’s spirit in a low voice.
- “I just want you to know I’m sorry, “ Anthony said with a sympathetic mood.
- “Oh! I’m sorry too my love, I didn’t want to leave you. I was so stubborn. I love you so much, and that’s why I came here, “ claimed Madeleine, “I really want to know if you…”
- “Yes!, yes!, I love you too. I always did it and I will always do,” interrupted him, “I realised I was a coward but I’m ready to change things”.
- “But, what are you gonna do? I don’t understand, “ asked her excitedly.
- “ Trust me, this time I won’t leave you”
Approaching her, he tried to hold Madie’s hand but her figure dissolved into the air. Now, more than ever, he knew he had to go with her.

Read about the painter.
Remedios Varo was born in Angles, Spain, in 1908 and travelled when young with her father throughout Spain and North Africa. She acquired an early interest in mathematics, mechanical drawing, and fantastic locomotive vehicles from her father, a hydraulic engineer.
Varo attended the Academia de San Fernando in Madrid where she learned about Surrealism. Varo was attracted to the idea of expressing her emotions using figures and symbols. Later in Barcelona, she met the Surrealist poet Benjamin Peret and together they moved to Paris, joining the Surrealist movement. In Paris, Varo's work matured into a personal voice that was original and provocative.
Varo and Peret moved to Mexico to escape the war in 1942 and Varo settled there for the rest of her life. In 1956, Varo had her first one woman exhibition at the Galeria Diana in Mexico City. She had a retrospective at the Museo de Arte Moderno in 1971. Many of Varo's paintings reflect her early fascination with science and instruments. They embrace a fascination with the workings of the universe and the inner world of fantasy, invention, and dreams.
Remedios Varo (1908-1963)









4 comentarios:

  1. One day, Anthony was composing the last notes of a special song; special because it was the one he and Madie had started to play together some time before. The music made him feel relieved and relaxed. Suddenly, something, a strange image appeared above the piano, levitating. Anthony thought it was an optical illusion, a result of his imagination. So he did not pay attention to it. After dinner, he sat at the piano to enjoy music. He again concentrated on that particular song, but this time it was different.
    He shivered at the thought of an odd presence. Anthony realized he was no alone and panic seized his body. As soon as he got out of the room, a soft sweet voice whispered...
    - "Anthony, Anthony."
    - "Who`s there?" said Anthony with fear.
    - "Anthony. It`s me, Madeleine."
    - "Madeleine? It is impossible. You can`t be here. I must be dreaming... You are dead!" exclaimed Anthony horrified.
    - "I know that but I came to see how you are and to say that..."
    - "No, no. You only want to desturb me, but I...I am not responsible for your death! Please, leave me alone!"
    - "Don`t be afraid! I know you are not responsible for that. It was an accident. I don`t want to hurt you, Anthony."
    - "This might be a nightmare! She is not here," said Anthony to himself.
    - "No, Anthony! Please, look at me! I am here and I want to say that I love you!"
    - "Go away!" replied Anthony desperately.
    Although Madie`s spirit disappear, Anthony knew there was something strange in his house, something he couldn`t explain.
    Since that night, Anthony was unable to sleep as a feeling of guilt oppressed him. He felt Madeleine could be anywhere waiting for the right moment to appear again because he knew he was responsible for her death and that feeling was with him day and night...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. ………….
    - “But, what are you gonna do? I don’t understand,” she asked her excitedly.
    - “Trust me, this time I won’t leave you”
    ………….
    His trembling hands came back with an empty bottle of wine. “Madelaine, my only and true love,” said the pianist in a tender voice while getting on his knees “I propose that we live together under this same roof, near this piano, the happy witness of our memories.” The spirit looked confused. “And what has that bottle to do with it?” she inquired nervously. “Well, this is not any bottle. It was given to me by my grandmother. She told me that once a spirit, good or bad, has entered it, there it will remain for eternity.”

    Madelaine couldn’t believe her ears. Now she realized her material life had ended just because an inexperienced, naïve moron didn’t dare holding her hand! And now he pretended to take her captive inside a bottle on his bedside! What a wasted life! “Look, I think you’ve got serious issues. My advice is for you to get your head examined, urgently!!” Her last words vanished in the air together with her presence.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Good end Candela. Do you believe he is responsible for Madeleine's death? What would you do if a ghost appeared in the room where you are? Creepy!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. What a creative ending Gise!!! I loved it! Yes.... apparently he was a moron!

    ResponderEliminar