domingo, 17 de mayo de 2009

"Ramona waits" by Gisela and Candela

"RAMONA ESPERA" by Antonio Berni


Ramona Waits
It’s twelve o’clock at night. Two women are together in a room. One of them is a young girl of dark skin; her eyes are a mixture of panic and hope. She’s not the one in the mirror, that’s the disguise, that’s the packaging that sells well.

(MN gives R the mirror)
MN: You look great! Change that attitude! You’re going to call nobody’s attention.
R: I don’t know what to do. I was supposed to do other things. My mother always told me that I was special. I’ve never done this before. This is my first time!
N: Sweetheart, you ARE special, that’s why you’re going to make the dreams of lots of men come true. This is a special thing to do! Look at me. I’m very special. (Looking at Ramona’s insecurity expression) Ok, this is what we’ll do. We are going to make a toast for the debutant! This is your first night and you have to be confident and cheerful. (Looks for a bottle of alcoholic drink inside one of her silver high-healed boots) Here it is! (Pours some liquid in a plastic glass and gives it to Ramona) Cheers! (Drinks)
R: (Unconfidently) For me! (Drinks)
R: (Yells in desperation) No! Nocturna! You don’t understand me! This is not me! I’m not like you!
N: What do you mean ‘I’m not like you’? (Miss Nocturna sits down – tired of Ramona’s attitude) Don’t be ungrateful! (Hits her on the neck) I’ve picked you out from the streets and this is how you pay me! Look at you! You’re as thin as a pin! You know that women like us have a fix position in the world. And you can’t change that. We were born like this and we will die like this.
R: (stands up and tries to walk with difficulty)
N: Don’t worry, you’ll get used to them.

That moonless night, Ramona became an old lady who killed mercilessly all her little girl’s innocence. As many dark nights passed, she was seen in different corners, waiting. She still thought luck was going to visit her sometime.


Berni... a great painter! Read about him.
Antonio Berni was born in Rosario in 1905 and died in Buenos Aires in 1981. He devoted to painting during 60 years and, thus, he became one of the most important artists in Argentina as well as in Latin America. Engraving, drawing and murals were among their finest works of art also. In 1925, Berni received a scholarship for studying in Paris. Thus, he got acquainted with the latest western artistic movements and learnt from renowned masters. When he came back to Argentina with his French wife (the artist Paule Cazenave) and daughter (Lilí), his painting became more politically committed. Now, his paintings and murals depicted, for example, middle class people, working class people and provinces people. Thus, social issues became the most important topics of his works.


And now... the actresses!!!! Don't they look cute?



4 comentarios:

  1. I’ve picked you out from the streets and this is how you pay me! Look at you! You’re as thin as a pin! You know that women like us have a fix position in the world. And you can’t change that. We were born like this and we will die like this.
    R: (stands up and tries to walk with difficulty)
    N: Don’t worry, you’ll get used to them.
    That night Ramona rushed to an old train station and took the first train which was leaving the city. All her fears and memories were left behind, together with Miss Nocturna, and a unique feeling of hope invaded her innocent heart. Ramona knew God had a better future for her…

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I’ve picked you out from the streets and this is how you pay me! Look at you! You’re as thin as a pin! You know that women like us have a fix position in the world. And you can’t change that. We were born like this and we will die like this.
    R: (stands up and tries to walk with difficulty)
    N: Don’t worry, you’ll get used to them.
    Ramona stared at Nocturna with anger and yelled,"No, I'll never get used to these men!They disgust me. I know that my luck is going to change one day.
    N:Ok,ok stop complaining all the time. You are driving me mad and I need to be relaxed.
    In that chilly night nobody was walking on the street.While Nocturna was drinking her favourite alcoholic drink, a car stopped in front of them. A handsome man came out of the car carrying a box of chocolates. When Ramona saw him, she felt that it was love at first sight. They looked into each other's eyes while the gentleman took her hand gently and said,"This box is for you Ramona. I love you from the very first time I saw you. That's why I'm here.
    R: Oh, my God! Is this true! I know who you are. You are my angel who saved me from being crashed. I never forget you!
    They hugged each other and kissed passionately. The man exclaimed,"come with me my love!We'll make you the happiest girl in the world.
    N: Go honey! Be happy. This your chance.
    Ramona felt that her dream had definetely come true. She got into the car and waved at Nocturna whose eyes were filled with tears.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Belén, there's hope of a better life for Ramona after all! I liked your end.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Cintia... what a hollywood end!!! Just like "Pretty woman"!! I liked it! Well, it's always nice to dream of a better end or a better future.

    ResponderEliminar